Cave Church and Garbage City Tour
Tourists who visit Cairo, especially for the first time, usually visit the classical highlights of the city like the Pyramids of Giza, the Egyptian Museum, and Saladin Citadel. Of course, these monuments are breathtaking and should never be missed by any traveler who visit Egypt. However, the land of the Nile has much much more to offer!
Cave Church in the Mokattam Mountain
There are hundreds of hidden treasures in Cairo that tourists never know about. Among these, there is the magnificent Cave Church in the Mokattam Mountain. In fact, this was never a church. It is the Monastery of St Simon or the Tanner Monastery.
It is actually a large Egyptian Coptic complex that include six churches; the largest among them is the Saint Simon that is considered the largest church in Egypt that would accommodate around 20,000 people.
Established in 1975, this church or this large Coptic complex was mainly founded to serve the community of garbage collectors who live in the Zabaleen neighborhood nearby.
During the 1940s and 1950s, a large number of Coptic Egyptians left Upper Egypt and resorted to the area near Al Mokattam Mountain where they started to form this community of garbage collector who managed to survive and preserve all their habits and traditions until today.
If you are looking for a unique experience while in Cairo, this tour is among the best we offer for those who prefer to explore hidden treasures. We would be visiting the Cave Church in Al Mokattam and pass by the garbage city by car in one perfectly organized day tour.
Visits included in the tour
- The Cave Church of Saint Simon
- The Garbage City by Car
Cave Church and Garbage City Tour Itinerary
- We begin our tour in the morning by picking up our guests from their hotels or any given place around Cairo or Giza.
- Our Cairo travel tour guide would be welcoming our guests for a day full of excitement exploring some of the hidden treasures of Cairo
- We start our ride to the Mokattam Mountain, the only mountain in Cairo, located near the Saladin Citadel in the Eastern section of Cairo.
- We begin our tours of the day, by visiting the Cave Church of Saint Simon. Established in 1975, it is all carved into the rocks of the mountain. The church is one of its kind in Egypt with its large size and the fact that it is all located inside a cave in the mountain.
- We move on with our trip by passing by car through the Garbage City, one of the distinctive places to explore of Cairo for those who are interested in heritage and anthropology. This is where garbage collectors lived for more than 50 years preserving all their habits and all the aspects of their community.
- We end our tour by transferring our guests back to their preferred location around Cairo or Giza after having a wonderful day tour.
The prices include –
- Transportation in private cars
- English speaking Tour Guide
- Snacks during the tour ( Water – Biscuits -chips )
- Entrance fees to monuments included in the itinerary
- All taxes
The prices do not include: –
- Any extras not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Personal items’ expenses.