Wadi Al Natrun Monasteries Tour
This is in fact one of the most popular day trips from Cairo or Alexandria. It represents a wonderful opportunity to explore some of the most distinctive Coptic monuments in Egypt; the monasteries of Wadi El Natrun.
Located almost half way in the road that leads from Cairo to Alexandria, a large number of Copts resorted to Wadi El Natrun in the beginning of the Christian period in Egypt.
Monasticism, as a concept, was founded in Egypt around the 3rd century AD. This is when Copts choose to go away from their families and societies and live alone worshiping god in an isolated location. Another reason behind this tradition was that Copts used to escape the cruelty of the Roman Emperors as they were against Christianity. They used to resort to deserted areas and form their own communities.
The monasteries of Wadi El Natrun include the Paromeos Monastery, the Monastery of the Syrians, the Monastery of Saint Marcus, and the Monastery of Saint Bishoy
It would be a day full of history, wonderful original architecture, and many more excitements. This is one of the most recommended day tours from Cairo. Monasteries of Wadi Al Natrun are among the most amazing historical and unique places to explore in Egypt.
Wadi Al Natrun Monasteries Tour included :
- The Baramus Monastery,
- Monastery of the Syrians,
- Monastery of Saint Marcus
- Monastery of Saint Bishoy
Itinerary of Tour
- Early in the morning, our modern air-conditioned vehicle would be awaiting our guests for a wonderful tour to the Monasteries of Wadi Al Natrun.
- One of the our expert tour guides would be escorting our beloved guides throughout the day to tell them the facts, stories, and much more about the historical sites they would be exploring
- We begin our drive towards Wadi El Natrun, which is located around 109 kilometers to the North West of Cairo, on the road leading to Alexandria.
- We reach Wadi El Natrun in around 90 minutes or two hours maximum.
- The first place we would be exploring would be the Paromeos Monastery, constructed in the 4th century AD, by the Romans, and restored and renovated again during the 4th century; the Paromeos Monastery is famous for some amazing Coptic original architecture and some marvelous icons.
- We move on with our trip towards the Monastery of Saint Marcus, one of the most distinctive Coptic historical structure in Egypt that preserved its original unique beauty.
- Our visits continue by exploring the wonderful Syrians Monastery, established during the 5th century AD, the monastery got its name when a large number of Syrian monks lived there in the period from the 6th to the 15th The monastery is famous for its wonderful bell towers and many other unique elements.
- Our last visit of the day would be to the Monastery of Saint Bishoy, one of the most popular Coptic monuments in Egypt that was founded in the 4th century AD.
- We can have lunch in one of the most recommended local restaurants according to the wishes of our clients.
- We ride back to Cairo after having a great time exploring the Coptic Monasteries of Wadi El Natrun.
The prices include –
- Transportation in private cars
- Tour Guides
- Entrance fees to monuments included in the itinerary
- All taxes
The prices do not include: –
- Any extras not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Personal items’ expenses.